Position description: Data Analyst & Project Manager
6 / 29 / 21
About Great MN Schools
We believe great schools matter & that they change lives.
We see first-hand how some schools demonstrate that children from all races, means, and origins can achieve. We need more of them—district, public charter, and independent—because all children should be able to attend high-performing schools that prepare them to thrive in their lives, careers, and communities.
Our school-centered approach starts with identifying schools with strong leaders and culture, and helping them diagnose their strengths and gaps. We facilitate the development of a strategic roadmap, and surround schools with support to ensure the implementation of strategic interventions and evidence-based solutions. Together, we partner for continual progress toward excellence. This is a unique model in Minnesota, and we’re initially focused on Minneapolis.
And we build community partnerships to support underserved families’ ability to navigate K-12 systems and advocate for their children through new tools and resources. This work will lead to families choosing better options for their child, and stronger family-school relationships and stronger schools.
By working alongside schools and supporting families, we’re uniquely committed to transforming education equity for students—of all backgrounds—and elevating what’s possible, demonstrating how other cities have increased the number of high-performing schools.
We believe that great schools are the cornerstone of a just and thriving community. Ensuring that every child is able to attend one is our moral and social imperative—our children deserve no less.
Great MN Schools is looking for a Data Analyst & Project Manager to help understand and communicate the data that describes the current reality of education in Minnesota, and the performance metrics of Great MN Schools. They must be able to communicate complex data simply and effectively across broad constituency groups that range from schools and funders to community partners and advocates. A great applicant will have experience in data cleaning and preparation, data analysis and exploration, statistical methods, and creating data visualizations, dashboards and reports, A deep commitment to accuracy and an ability to communicate the takeaways are must-haves for this position.
Key activities include:
• Own end to end data processing. Plan and execute data analysis and research that lead to actionable insights.
• Utilize strong quantitative analysis skills, solid communication and interpersonal skills.
• Create data visualization dashboards and interactive reports.
• Own and coordinate data use across the organization.
• Complete data requests when needed.
• Collection, aggregation and synthesis of student, teacher and school data from the Minnesota Department of Education and other sources.
• Collect and summarize data across grantees and partners accurately and consistently to monitor and evaluate programs against goals.
• Draft memos, analyses, slide decks, and reports presenting complex data sets and analysis for a variety of audiences.
• Identify useful approaches to visualize information and share data with families, funders and community.
• Other projects and tasks, as needed. We’re a small organization and are looking for a team player to pitch in (we all wear many hats!).
• Collect, analyze and update all the school-based data needed for the Minneapolis Schools Finder.
• Support setting annual goals. Collect, manage and update internal and external performance dashboards and create slides to share GMS progress with the board and existing and potential funders.
• Develop metrics and systems for a new, multi-measure School Performance Rating to be used city-wide in the Minneapolis School Finder.
The ideal candidate has bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in data analysis, data engineering or a relevant field, and 3-5 years of experience working with data end to end; including evaluating, cleaning, combining, and presenting relevant data from a variety of sources. They are detail oriented, able to juggle multiple projects and priorities at once, enjoys working in a team setting, and is able to bring a diversity, equity, and/or inclusion lens to their work. They are passionate about education and closing the opportunity gaps in Minneapolis. They bring the following skills and personal characteristics:
Required skills and experiences:
• High, self-directed attention to detail. A high bar for quality and accuracy.
• Ability to use R or Python or interest in learning.
• 2-3 years of work experience as a Data Analyst & Project Manager, data engineering, or in a related field.
• Undergraduate degree or equivalent experience.
• 2+ years of experience with MS Excel and Tableau (or equivalent software). Proficient in PowerPoint.
• Proven ability to maintain and improve the reliability, efficiency and functionality of existing reports.
• Experience preparing data visualization for internal and external audiences.
• Exceptional written and verbal communication skills (including translating data into written statements).
• Experience managing multiple priorities simultaneously with strong attention to detail, ability to operate independently and in collaboration with others.
• Demonstrated ability to manage timelines and meet deadlines, and proactively identify problems and potential solutions, resulting in an ability to move forward work in a fluid environment with significant flexibility.
• Quick learning; interest in a diverse work portfolio, with changing priorities and deadlines.
• Familiarity with K-12 education in Minnesota or Minneapolis.
• Familiarity with NWEA/MAP, MCA data and / or other academic assessments used to measure student performance and growth.
• Strong commitment to Great MN Schools’ vision and passion for transforming K-12 education so that children of all races, means, and origins access high-performing schools; a commitment to the organization’s values:
• Results for kids, schools, families
• Purpose with bold optimism and belief in all kids
• Integrity with our partners, our investments, our decisions
• Humility learning and working together, with community
• Commitment to our city and our future
• Growth mindset; a good attitude and willingness to get the job done and done well!
• Ability to apply an equity lens in their work and actively participate in the organization’s DEI work.
• Enthusiasm, team-orientation, strong work ethic, and positive energy.
• Results orientation; ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment with a strong commitment to collaboration.
Great MN Schools offices in the Uptown Minneapolis WeWork office located at 1330 Lagoon Ave. GMS staff are expected to work in person at least two days per week.
$65,000-80,000, plus a competitive benefits package.
Apply by July 12:
Please submit your resume, cover letter, and one work sample – a presentation or data summary that you have prepared to Sheilah Kavaney, Director: email@example.com with “Data Analyst & Project Manager” in the subject line.
Great MN Schools is an equal opportunity employer.