Position description: Senior Manager, Finance & Operations
12 / 5 / 22
Senior Manager, Operations, Talent, & Finance
About Great MN Schools
We work to ensure that every child is able to attend an excellent and equitable school that prepares them to thrive in their lives, careers, and communities.
Great schools that enroll kids from low-income backgrounds make a difference. These students grow academically at twice the rate, are twice as likely to graduate, and are six times as likely to earn a postsecondary degree. We focus on developing and sustaining great schools in Minneapolis for all students through:
- Creating more high-performing schools for underserved communities. Our school-centered approach starts with identifying schools with strong leaders and culture, and helping them diagnose their strengths and gaps. We facilitate the development of a strategic roadmap, and surround schools with support to ensure the implementation of strategic interventions and evidence-based solutions.
- Building community partnerships to support underserved families’ ability to navigate K-12 systems. We work with community organizations to provide families with helpful tools and resources, resulting in families choosing better options for their children, stronger family-school relationships and stronger schools.
- Advancing proven solutions toward more high-performing schools. We elevate what’s possible, and engage the community as partners in change.
By working alongside schools and supporting families, we’re committed to transforming education equity for students—of all backgrounds—and elevating what’s possible.
Great MN Schools is looking for a Senior Manager, Operations, Talent, & Finance to lead the organization’s team operations, HR, budget development and monitoring, and accounts payable. This position will report to the Sr. Director of Schools & Operations. Key activities include:
Operations & project management
- Oversee cross-functional, org-wide projects and priorities, bringing together relevant stakeholders to ensure clarity and transparency of communications
- Support the CEO with the organization’s Board of Directors meetings, including facilitating the development of board meeting and committee packets and materials, ensuring that the board calendar and organization policies are in place, and overseeing board and committee meeting logistics.
- Lead the annual production of GMS family-facing tools & resources, including the Minneapolis School Finder and Grade-level-guides. Production process includes working closely with vendors and GMS team, identifying and implementing online and physical copy enhancements, and collecting and proofing school data to ensure tool accuracy.
- Ensure the organization has physical resources and infrastructure needed to execute on our mission, including serving as the facilities point person, and managing providers & subscriptions to meet the team’s technology, CRM database, and communication needs.
- Lead the planning and production of various convenings and events for our external stakeholders, including our annual meeting, quarterly community convenings, literacy working group convenings, and funder site visits with grantees.
Team culture and performance
- Steward team culture and team member growth by facilitating team meetings, and planning and leading internal professional development opportunities, annual retreats, team bonding activities.
- Work closely with the CEO, external consultants and team to ensure that the organization and board are operationalizing its values and DEI priorities. Track ongoing progress against efforts.
- Design and manage the annual organizational strategic planning and team member goal-setting process.
- Identify and implement new solutions to strengthen team operations and culture.
- Lead all HR functions for the organization, including annual benefits renewal and administration process. Serve as point person for any team members who need support navigating benefits and/or HR issues.
- Lead implementation of the organization’s compensation policy, including updates to or audits for compensation benchmarking.
- Manage the employee life cycle from hiring to onboarding to ongoing professional development to exits.
- Ensure organizational policies are up-to-date and manage renewals for nonprofit insurance, worker’s compensation, etc.
- Develop and manage the organization’s $6mm annual budget, including tracking & managing expenses and cash flow, working with staff to update budget forecasts, and managing multi-year forecasts.
- Prepare for and lead quarterly board Finance Committee meetings, as well as prepare all relevant finance materials for the Board of Directors.
- Oversee part-time administrative support and contract accountant in the monthly reconciliation and reporting processes.
- Develop and manage processes to track & coordinate accounts payable, accounts receivable and all contracts and grants (received and issued).
- Act as primary liaison with the board, the organization’s accountant (consultant), and auditors on annual audits and 990 submissions; ensure the audit process is smooth and timely.
- Ensure the organization is in compliance with its financial policies, facilitating policy updates when necessary.
- Review and approve monthly payroll.
The ideal candidate has 5-7 years of professional experience managing team operations, people/HR systems, and/or finances. They are detail oriented and able to juggle multiple projects and priorities at once. They enjoy working in a team setting, and is able to bring a diversity, equity, and inclusion lens to their work. They are passionate about education and closing the achievement gap in Minneapolis. They bring the following skills and personal characteristics:
- Understanding of organizational functions, including human resources, finance, and operations
- Experience developing & implementing systems to improve organizational effectiveness.
- Prior experiences working alongside racially or ethnically diverse organizations or people
- Experience managing multiple priorities simultaneously with strong attention to detail, ability to operate independently and in collaboration with others
- Demonstrated ability to manage timelines and meet deadlines, and proactively identify problems and potential solutions, resulting in an ability to move forward work in a fluid environment with significant flexibility
- Quick learning; interest in a diverse work portfolio, with changing priorities and deadlines
- A high bar for quality and accuracy
- Experience collaborating with external consultants and contractors
- Knowledge and experience with IT, Microsoft Suite, QuickBooks, Dropbox, project management platforms (e.g., Wrike), and payroll and benefits platforms (e.g., Gusto)
- Strong commitment to Great MN Schools’ mission and vision for transforming K-12 education so that children of all races, means, and origins access excellent and equitable schools:
- Mission—Ensure every child attends a great school that prepares them to thrive in their lives, careers, and community
- Values—Honesty, Inclusivity, Intentionality, Courage, and Collaboration
- Growth mindset; a good attitude and willingness to get the job done and done well!
- Ability to apply an equity lens in their work and collaboratively lead the organization’s DEI work
- Enthusiasm, team-orientation, strong work ethic, and positive energy
- Results orientation; ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment with a strong commitment to collaboration
Great MN Schools offices in the North Loop Minneapolis WeWork office located at 729 Washington Avenue. Team members are expected to work from the office two days a week (currently Tuesday and Wednesday).
$75,000-$90,000, plus a competitive benefits package, including 401K match, health, vision, and dental insurance, disability coverage, and access to HSA and FSA plans. Employees are also eligible for the team bonus program, designed to support collaboration and collective ownership, and to recognize shared impact on organizational goals.
Please submit your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com with “Application: Senior Manager, Finance & Operations” in the subject line.
Great MN Schools is an equal-opportunity employer. We value diversity within our team. We encourage applicants who are Black, Indigenous, people of color, LGBTQIA+, disabled, and people from households with low incomes to apply.